Ponts and Gualter were occupied by Count Wilfred the Hairy before the 890 and yielded to the monastery of Ripoll to set a Benedictine priory. The old church would not be suitable for worship or liturgy proper to a Benedictine monastery. Around 1118, with the establishment of a brotherhood of clergy and laity to carry out the works, the original church was renewed for another existing, completed and consecrated in 1207.
The monastery was a small priory depending on Ripoll and was continually supported by the counts of Urgell who helped to gather a good heritage. But in 1593 Pope Clement VIII abolished the hermitage and the building became a parochial church. The monastic complex then entered into a state of gradual abandonment.
Is an architectural complex consisting of a monastic church with a basilica floor plan where you can appreciate the greatness and beauty of the Romanesque structure, with a monastic cloister. In 1939 due to the explosion of a powder keg that was inside the church during the Civil War, the place was destroyed.
The partial refurbishment of the church of the monastery has been recently carried out and as a result of this latest intervention, it has been rebuilt the lower part of the west facade and reinforced the transversal arches. It has been built a corridor of concrete with metal railings that facilitate the visit and viewing height of the different perspectives of the structure. From the original romanesque cloister it only remains the south gallery, is a twelfth century structure covered with wood and with round arches, supported by a short columns topped by capitals carved with vegetable motifs.